Monday, February 15, 2010

More than a Valentine's Day




So yesterday was a big day for our little family and it had nothing to do with the fact that it was Valentine's Day. In fact, since we're a family full of people who can't stand to buy a gift and not immediately give it, we had all already given gifts to each other long before Valentine's actually arrived.

While mentioning gifts, I have to say that Not-So-Ex really outdid himself this year. Months ago he had talked to my uncle, a sculptor who makes huge steel flowers (if you're local, he has a shop called Steel Blooming), about making a custom desk sculpture of cupcakes. The result is stunningly beautiful, not to mention a one of a kind art piece. I was absolutely speechless.

A bad pic caused by super shaky hands!

Anyway, back to my original point, the important thing about yesterday was that it was our awesome, often devilish, pups 1st birthday (or at least the day we designated as his b-day since he was a pound puppy and we didn't know his exact birth date for sure). So Jake Blues the Wonder Mutt is becoming a big boy. We shared special meals with him and bought him new toys and just generally loved him to pieces all day long. It's so hard to believe that it's almost been a year since we broke him out of the pound thinking he was gonna be a little dog, only to have him grow into a full scale Scooby Doo look alike. Now Jakester is a full-fledged family member and fits right into our little family.


In other good news, the house deal was basically done yesterday and now the pre-closing frenzy begins. There is just so much to do... inspections to arrange... window shopping for Not-So-Ex and I to do since there's a lot of things we will be replacing in the house... and that's not even going into the whole packing thing! We're so excited, both for ourselves and especially for Jake who will get a small fenced yard for him to play in without even being tied up.

The first thing we had to do was get the inspection, which I set up this morning. I was so nervous about it because, with it being a very old home, I want to walk in with open eyes and a full knowledge of the shape it is in. I don't want any surprises. Since I didn't know anyone to do the inspection, I mentioned on facebook that I needed to have one done. Within about 15 minutes I found out that an old friend of the family (and grandpa of one of my son's good friends) is a house inspector and I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I know, without a doubt, that he'll look it over carefully and be very honest about the areas we need to watch and/or work on. So now everything is set up and we should have the full report in about a week or so.

I wish I could post pics of the house, since it is truly beautiful in a very "me" sorta way. But I've come to realize that I need to protect my family and their privacy a bit more than I have been. It saddens me cause I'm more of the open and sharing type (and I'd rather be that way) but I've been forced to recognize that not everyone likes me. While I'm fine with that (and am not always worthy of being liked), I'm not going to open my family up to the judgement and cruelty of those who feel they have a bone to pick with me.

However, if I were one of my readers, I would look forward to plenty of before and after pics of the interior of the house! There will be some dramatic changes ahead!

1 comment:

Paige said...
This comment has been removed by the author.