Sunday, December 13, 2009

A cookie kind of weekend...

So Friday was all about finally getting the television. I think I mentioned before that my Mother-In-Law told us to pick out a tv and she would get it for us as a family Christmas gift. Well Rex had been studying what was available and we braved the crowds to go to Target to pick out our tv. Once we got there, the 36 in tv we wanted wasn't there. But there was a great deal on a 42 inch tv, which made it the same price as the smaller set we wanted, so now I am sitting here watching Monty Python on a HUGE screen!

Saturday was a party day. The Father-In-Law's job has a big Christmas party for the kids of the employees and we went with the whole family. So we had a ball, despite Rena being involved in the race tracks first head-on collision between a car running on the track and a car that wasn't racing yet (it was a bizarre situation that involved Rena sitting in a car waiting for her turn and another kid getting turned around, hitting the gas instead of the brake, and the other car ended up sitting on top of Rena's).

Now the rest of the weekend is all about cookies. Every year I make a zillion Christmas cookies. This year, I'm going to cut back because there will be cupcakes too. But I love my cut out sugar cookies. Especially since I discovered last year that, if I cut out and bake the cookies and then cover them in royal icing, I can give the kids those food coloring based markers and let them decorate the cookies. I'm really excited to do that again this year. Plus, since I've been working more with piping on the cupcakes, I'm hoping I can maybe really do some decorating on some, but that may go to the wayside once time gets tight!
Luckily I had more than one rolling pin...

But anyway, here's the first recipe I'm trying for the sugar cookies (from allrecipes.com of course). I will warn you that an hour of refrigeration will not cut it. Let it sit in the fridge overnight. I tried to roll them out the first time after about 2 hrs and the result was just pure frustration. But then I tried again this morning and all was lovely! And, since the rolling out process sucked last night, we got to eat the mistakes and they were definitely tasty!

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3.Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

No comments: