Thursday, November 12, 2009

So you don't have to (probably episode 1)

So as I was standing over my mixer last night looking at a particularly sad little fail in my mixing bowl, it occurred to me that, in addition to sharing the recipes that I love, I should probably share the recipes that are disasters. That way, anyone who reads, won't ever have to fail with that particular recipe!

Last night's recipe is the perfect place to start. Iron Cupcake Earth (ICE)'s ingredient for this month is apple. My first thought was, as my son would say, easy peasy! And then I started looking for recipes. I had already done peanut butter and apple for Cupcake Hero, so that was out. My first instinct was caramel apple, so I searched and found that almost every apple recipe included caramel. So ICE will probably have a zillion versions of caramel and apple.

So I sat and pondered... what can I do... And the next thing that came to mind was candy apples. And I was just sure that was the ticket. So I looked for a cupcake recipe that could be more apple-y and less cinnamon-y or spicy. And I found it. And then I looked for a recipe for frosting that was candy apple-ish.

Here's where the plan goes bad. I generally only use recipes that I get from bloggers (cause they tell you exactly how things turn out) or places like allrecipes.com (where there are comments and ratings and such). But I couldn't find anything in all the reputable places. So I just found this random recipe and it was rated decent, but there were no comments and even very little in the way of instructions. But it had the key ingredients for candy apples so I was determined to give it a try.

This is exactly what it said...
In top of double boiler, combine 1 egg white, 3/4 CUP sugar, 2 tablespoons red cinnamon candies, dash salt, 1/2 cup applesauce, and 1 teaspoon light corn syrup.
Beat 1 minute with electric or rotary beater.
Place over boiling water; beat till peaks form, about 4 minutes (don't overcook).
Remove from boiling water.
Beat till of spreading consistency.

And that's exactly what I did. At least till the beating part. I think I beat it about 10-15 minutes before I realized there would be no peaks, soft or otherwise. The result was a pan of pink, almost marshmallow creme like, goo that left little pieces of apple (from the applesauce) in your mouth once the rest dissolved and was gone.

So, just so you never have to go through it yourself, this recipe SUCKS! Consider that a half hour of your time that I just saved! No thanks necessary!

No comments: