Sunday, November 15, 2009

Appledoodle Cupcakes (My first Iron Cupcake!)

So this month is all about apples for Iron Cupcake Earth and I had a blast with it! I considered apples and caramel, then decided everyone would be doing that. Then I tried candy apples, but I had my little frosting disaster. The I had an inspired thought when I was looking at a cookbook and realized that Snickerdoodle Cupcakes would be great with apples. So I played with the recipe and this is what I came up with!

Appledoodle Cupcakes (based on Martha Stewart's Snickerdoodle Cupcake recipe)
Ingredients
Makes 24(ish)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
3/4 c brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
3/4 c condensed apple juice

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Put milk and apple juice into one cup. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk/juice mixture, and beating until combined after each.
Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.

Once the cupcakes were baked and cooled, I cut a cone out of the center and put a heaping teaspoon of fried apples in the center. I would love to give you the recipe I used for the fried apples, but Not-So-Ex made them for me and he is not a recipe user. So, if you've never fried apples, we basically chopped up apples and put them in a skillet with sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Whenever they started to look dry, I added some apple juice. Once they're soft, they're done.

I used Martha Stewart's recomendation for frosting (7 Minute Frosting), but changed it so that it used brown sugar. And replaced some of the water with apple juice. If I was gonna make these again, I'd use a different frosting. The 7 Minute Frosting kinda tasted like molasses. The kids and Not-So-Ex liked it, but I didn't. But anyway, here's the recipe.

Brown Sugar 7 Minute Frosting
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cup water (I used half juice and half water)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
6 large egg whites, room temperature

Directions
Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar with the water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling, without stirring, until syrup reaches 230 degrees.
Meanwhile, in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With mixer running, add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating to combine.
As soon as sugar syrup reaches 230 degrees, remove from heat. With mixer on medium-low speed, pour syrup down side of bowl in a slow, steady stream. Raise speed to medium-high; whisk until mixture is completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl) and stiff (but not dry) peaks form, about 7 minutes. Use immediately.

I will warn everyone that this is not the recipe to make on a warm day. Between the cupcakes in the oven, the fried apples on the stove, and then the frosting on the stove, I was ready to pass out!

Anyway, this is my first ever entry for Iron Cupcake: Earth! I am super excited and these are the prizes I could possibly win:

No comments: