Monday, November 9, 2009

A new fave!!!!


So I have been seriously in need of a new, good cupcake recipe. I've been having a bit of a drought when it comes to original ideas that actually turn out to be decent!

But this weekend's recipe (which is definitely gonna be heading to Cupcake Hero) made up for all the crappy cupcake experiments!
Without further ado, I present the Peanut Butter Boston Cream Pie cupcake (which is in desperate need of a better name)...

First off, the cupcake itself comes from here, but I made a tiny change cause peanut butter just NEEDS at least a little brown sugar...

Amy Sedaris' Cupcakes

1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups of sugar (I used 1 cup sugar and 1/2 c brown sugar and that seemed good)

Beat well, then add:

Add 2 large eggs
2 Teaspoons of pure vanilla
½ teaspoon of salt
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
2 ½ cups of flour
1 ¼ cups of milk

Beat well, fill cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. You should get 24.

Now for the filling, which is my absolute favorite part! I modified a standard vanilla pudding recipe from allrecipes.com...

Peanut Butter Filling

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup 2% milk
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 c peanut butter
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
2.Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter, vanilla, and peanut butter.
3.Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For the frosting, I knew I'd need some form of ganache, which I normally don't care for. But this ganache was to die for!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache
1 cup heavy cream
1 ½ cups chocolate chip morsels
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ cup smooth peanut butter
In a small saucepan, combine the cream, powdered sugar, chocolate chip morsels and butter over low heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and add the peanut butter at the same time. Stir until smooth. Let cool.

4 comments:

Buzzardbilly said...

Anything Amy Sedaris can't be wrong! Those look delicious.

If you're interested, I have a recipe for a wild rice pumpkin cake with maple cream cheese frosting. I'll bet it would make a splendid cupcake and you could garnish the top with a maple sugar candy. Who doesn't like those?

Speaking of pumpkin? Have you ever had pumpkin fudge? It tastes a lot like the frosting for spice cake. I'll bet there's a pumpkin fudge icing to be made from that.

Paige said...

Wild rice and pumpkin? Fascinating!

I bet the fudge would make awesome frosting. I continue to be amazed by how many things are good as frosting. Fruit dips are great, some puddings work well, the possibilities are endless.

April said...

Have you ever done anything with a ganache as part of the frosting? I've seen those several times and wanted to do one, but never did. My mojo is on vacation.

Paige said...

I had never messed with ganache much. I generally like to pipe my frosting so I had tried whipped ganache before and wasn't thrilled. But this peanut butter chocolate ganache was absolutely divine!