Friday, November 6, 2009

Memories

Someone that I considered a friend passed away yesterday. He was young, vibrant, insanely talented, and possessed a large, kind heart. His death is saddening and shocking, but I wanted to use this little bit of space to remember him.

He was a rapper that went by Meuwl, a graffiti artist that went by Psst, and a really wonderful person that went by Sam Harshbarger.

The easiest way to try to explain the type of relationship I had with Sam is to say that, even when I wanted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him out of frustration (which happened a couple times), I still had to hug him the second I saw him. And those who know me really well know that I don't hug unless I mean it. And I always meant it.

I didn't get to see Sam often but I remember the last time I saw him. I went to the closing ceremonies for the Hip-Hop Boot Camp this past summer. I didn't know Sam was going to be teaching, but was just thrilled to see him. I hugged him and said "God I've missed you!" I then proceeded to tease him about showing up the one year I couldn't be there.

I'm so glad I saw him that day. I had no idea it would be the last time but wouldn't have changed a thing even if I did. I feel for his family, both his biological family and his musical family. He was loved by many and will be remembered with as much laughter as there are tears.

No comments: