Thursday, July 22, 2010

I hate the crack of dawn...

So I'm up way early this morning with a ton to do. I've been doing this thing on facebook where I let everyone know what cupcakes I'm baking when I have an order. In theory, this allows me to sell the leftovers instead of having them sitting around. The problem, which is good actually, is that I end up with a lot of orders to fill in a relatively short time period.

For example, yesterday I announced I would be baking four different varieties. After a bunch of people expressed an interest, I ended up needing to bake eight dozen instead of four. Two dozen went out last night. Two dozen will be delivered to one of my favorite people today over lunch. And two dozen will go out later this afternoon/this evening. And the final two dozen will go out either this evening or tomorrow.

It's a great problem to have, and one I hope continues once I'm on board with Frutcake. Once I'm working there, I'll actually have somewhere to put the boxes of cupcakes without worrying about them falling over! Much less I'll have an actual store where people can pick them up!

One thing I did learn yesterday is that I can't refrigerate and then warm up Italian Meringue Buttercream. I put some in a piping bag, used part of it, then put it in the fridge to use later. When I went back to it, I let it come to room temp and tried to pipe it only to find that it had broken. However, once I put it back in the mixing bowl and beat the crap out of it again, it did come back together again and was perfectly usable (thank God).

No comments: