Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad Cupcakes

My Kind of Coffee Cupcakes (front) and Mocha Cupcakes

So I was really pondering what cupcakes to make for my Dad on Father's Day. They needed to be just perfect. I was really running out of ideas when it hit me this morning.

Coffee.

I don't drink coffee, but it's a smell that I will always associate with my Dad. And I love the smell.

And I must say, the two versions of coffee based cupcakes were both divine (although I preferred the vanilla based).

Mocha Cupcakes
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee
mini chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put liners in cupcake pan.
2.In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
3.Bake 15-20 minutes.

My Kind of Coffee Cupcakes (lots of milk and a bit of coffee)

1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups of sugar

Beat well, then add:

Add 2 large eggs
2 Teaspoons of pure vanilla
½ teaspoon of salt
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
2 ½ cups of flour
1 ¼ cups of coffee/milk (mix the coffee and milk as strong as you like - I used 3/4 c coffee and 1/2 milk)

Beat well, fill cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. You should get 24. I get 18, 'cause I'm doing something wrong.

The frosting I used is a recipe I've used before and, this time, it turned out absolutely perfect. I could seriously eat it by the spoonful. It tasted just like yummy, super milky, sweet coffee.

Coffee Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Makes enough to frost 16 cupcakes

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 tbsp hot water
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee

Put sugar, egg whites and salt into the top of a double boiler over a pan of simmering water. Whisking constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm (about 160 degrees). Pour heated egg whites into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg white mixture on high speed until it forms stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until fluffy and cooled, about 7 minutes total. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low, add butter two tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Increase speed to medium-high; continue beating until frosting appears thick, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, stir 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee into 1 tbsp hot water until dissolved, then put it in the refrigerator or freezer until it comes down to room temperature. Reduce mixer speed to low and add coffee mixture. Continue beating 1 minute to reduce air bubbles.

No comments: