Friday, March 18, 2011

Important stuff!

So I tend to post recipes that include tons of sugar, but today I'm posting two very important recipes that need very little sugar!

I'm a big fan of pizza but I've gotten spoiled lately by places like Lola's and Pies and Pints. Last week we finally found the key to great pizzas, a great crust and white sauce.

First off, the crust recipe. Now, when I made this, I did it a bit differently than the instructions. I let it rise, like you normally would with bread, then punched it down, put it in the pans, and let it rise a bit while I made the sauce.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45
degrees C)
1.Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.
2.Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.
Next is the white sauce. I had always assumed white pizzas used alfredo sauce. But I tried it and it wasn't quite right. Then I googled white pizza and found this weird recipe on Serious Eats that sounded awful. But we tried it (cause I mean it's Serious Eats, they know what they're talking about) and it was perfect. So here it is.
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 2 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or marjoram
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

  • In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 or 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute longer. Add the cream, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the cream thickens and reduces slightly.
Remove from the heat, stir in the thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool
completely before using.


Evil Twin's Wife said...

Did you use cheese and other toppings, too? It sounds like it would be good either way...

Paige said...

I guess I shoulda mentioned that huh. LOL Yeah you go on and use all your favorite toppings. And tons of cheese, especially our favorite goat cheese!