Thursday, February 24, 2011

A little this and a little that...

So I haven't written for a while. On one hand, it seems like there's nothing really going on. On the other hand, it seems like I'm too busy to blog. And, yes, I know that doesn't make sense. So here is what's going on.

1. Will he or won't he...
Not-So-Ex has been working at Bayer for a while on the MIC Unit. It's dangerous. It's been insane hours. But it's also been insane pay. But there have been tons of lawsuits, which I completely support, and it's been will he or won't he have a job for quite a while. There have been rumored layoffs, rumored job shut downs, and just about anything else you can think of. Well yesterday he got the word that there would be a big layoff and he would be going. And we were thrilled. We have savings, we have a pretty large tax return, we're good for a while. I started my list of things I wanted him to do around the house and he started his list of things he wanted to do (and number 1 was SLEEP). Then he went to work today and they changed their mind and he's staying. While I appreciate that he has someone at his company (he actually works for a contractor) looking out for him, I still hope his last day at Bayer will be coming very soon.

2. Vacay #1
I just took my kids and my parents to the airport. They're gonna fly to Florida and then board a cruise to the Bahamas. And they're totally psyched. And, while I'm excited for them to have such a good time, I'm sooooooo gonna miss them! On the plus side, I have my parents' car while they're gone so no more getting up super early unless I have to. Plus, on the days when I don't work, I don't even have to leave the house unless I want to! And Not-So-Ex can drive to work every day on his own! Can't beat that. The parents' car also has seat warmers so, no matter where I'm going, my butt will feel amazing!

3. Vacay #2
We've booked our room for New York and our plane tickets have been bought. I was a little worried that the trip would be tough if Not-So-Ex was still laid off but, since he's still working, there's no reason for concern at all. I'm starting to talk to the kids about where all they wanna go and what they want to see. And Not-So-Ex is in charge of picking out all the awesome places where we'll eat. My main thing is to choose which bakeries we'll hit for cupcakes! Clearly I have the most important job. I'm looking forward to meeting up with a blogger friend while I'm there, plus my cousin is an opera singer in the city so I'm excited to see her in her natural habitat (LOL) too. Anyway, clearly I'm quite excited.

4. All things sugary
The bakery is going great! I've had so much support from friends that I can't even begin to go into it. My cupcakes also seem to be creating some fans too. It's also really cool because, when I have a cupcake that everyone loves, I can then turn it into a cake to be sold by the slice at our sister restaurant, Bluegrass Kitchen. Like, right now, I made a cupcake that turned out incredible. It was a Raspberry Truffle Cupcake, a dark chocolate cupcake with soft raspberry truffle filling and a raspberry chocolate frosting. They flew out of the case so I asked Chef about making it for Bluegrass. I had the first Raspberry Truffle Torte at Bluegrass on Tues and they LOVED it!

Well I guess that gets everyone all caught up! Have a great weekend!

No comments: