Sunday, July 12, 2009

Who needs some cupcakes? I do! I do!

OK... so before my world went crazy, I was beginning my weekend the standard way... with cupcakes. I had a request for Chocolate Mint Cupcakes so I decided to give it a shot. And this:

is the result.

They are basically standard chocolate cupcakes with a Peppermint Patty in the middle and frosted with chocolate mint frosting, with a Junior Mint on top.

And now for the recipes...

For the cupcakes, I used the One-Bowl Chocolate Cake recipe from allrecipes.com. So here it is, with the changes I made.
One Bowl Chocolate Cake III
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Some mini Peppermint Patties
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour cupcake pans.
2.In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer. Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans and stick 1/2 to a whole Peppermint Patty in each cupcake.
3.Bake 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing, I modified my favorite chocolate frosting, again from allrecipes.com.
Chocolate Frosting II
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 tablespoon mint extract
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in cocoa, mint extract, and vanilla. Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Pour in cocoa mixture. Beat well (mixture will be extremely thick). Beat in milk, a teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Anyway, they were a big hit!

No comments: