Saturday, July 25, 2009

Uh Oh... It's before noon...

So when a friend asks for a cupcake, I hop to it! My friend (sponsor), Jacque, mentioned Margarita Cupcakes the other day and my interest was piqued so I had to get on it straight away. And I gotta say they look awfully good!

So here's the recipe (which I got from Baking Bites):

Margarita Cupcakes (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World)

1/4 cup lime juice

1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)

1 cup soy milk (I used regular milk)

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp tequila

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup sugar

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined. Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila and Lime Frosting

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 tbsp milk

3 tbsp lime juice

1 tbsp tequila

2+ cups confectioners’ sugar

coarse sugar for “rims”

Cream together butter, milk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar. Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable. Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse, colored sugar (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it.

As far as the sugar rim, I piped a little frosting around the edge, dipped it in sugar, and then piped the rest on. It was really easy that way. And, while I generally don't like buttercream frosting (at least the ones I've made), the frosting was INCREDIBLE!!!

2 comments:

jacque said...

I just made a pitcher here because it's dark and stormy and thought about the cupcakes! That's all kinds of awesome. I shouldn't be surprised that a recipe exists for these, but to see them actually made is a wonder.

Paige said...

Not only does the recipe exist but they're really effin' good! I think I'm gonna have to make another batch for my dad's b-day tomorrow.