Sunday, July 19, 2009

1 recipe 2 cupcakes...

So I found this awesome Key Lime Pie cupcake recipe. It's basically a graham cracker cupcake and then you swirl Key Lime Pie filling into it. I had tried the recipe back when I made the cupcakes for my cousin Steph's party and fell in love with them. But this time I did a little something different. I made a larger version of the cupcake recipe (not quite doubled though) and then split the recipe in half and made the Key lime out of half and made the other half into S'mores Cupcakes.

So here are the recipes:

Graham Cracker Cupcakes (originally from the Cupcake Project):
3/4 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
4 1/2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c flour
2 1/4 c graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar and beat till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing 30 seconds after each addition. In another bowl, mix flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add 1/3 of the graham mixture to the butter mixture and beat just until mixed. Alternate milk and graham mixture ending with graham. Once mixed, split into two bowls.

For the Key Lime:
5 egg yolks
14 oz condensed sweetened milk
1/2 c key lime juice
a few drops green food coloring (optional)

Mix all that in a separate bowl and mix it into one bowl of the graham cracker cupcake batter. Don't fully mix it in. Just mix it so that there are basically globs of graham cracker batter and globs of key lime mixture.

Scoop the mixture into cupcake pans, making sure to get even amounts of graham and key lime. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Key Lime Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 c butter
2 c powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons key lime juice
4-5 c more powdered sugar
Green food coloring

Mix cream cheese and butter till light and fluffy. Mix in 2 c powdered sugar. Add juice and then the rest of the powdered sugar and food coloring (if desired). Top cooled cupcakes.

For the S'mores cupcakes:
To the other bowl of graham cracker batter add one bag of Milk Chocolate chunks. Scoop the batter into the cupcake pans and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

To frost the S'mores cupcakes:
I piped marshmallow fluff on the cupcakes with a pretty little star tip and my apartment is so warm that it quickly melted to the point that I coulda just scooped a spoonful onto the cupcakes and it woulda looked the same. Once the fluff is on the cupcakes, put them under the broiler in the oven until they brown.

And that's all there is to it! Although I should warn ya that the S'mores cupcakes are seriously messy! But yummy!


2 comments:

Buzzardbilly said...

That sounds so delicious I could feel my ass spreading ever wider as I read!

Are you going to the Unknown Hinson show in Huntington on Friday? There's a thing up about it at my blog. Would love to get to meet ya and enjoy The Unknown with a group, but even if it turned out to be just me and Curmy, I would still dig the show.

I serious about going bouffant. Really. The more folks avoid the subject like a plague, though, I may rethink that moment of sheer fun and go as just plain me.

Paige said...

I wish I could go but life is a little weird right now so I think I'm just gonna hope he comes back to the Glass soon and make sure I'm there when he does.

And I like the bouffant idea. But, then again, I'm always one for a costume, at least in theory!