Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cupcake Experiment #2



The Red Velvet Cupcakes were such a hit at the house that I decided to try another recipe from the Cupcake Rehab blog.  This time, at the request of the Not-So-Ex, I tried the Dreamsicle Cupcakes.

Now for my first screw-up... when I was making the Red Velvet yesterday, I went through a bottle and a half of red food coloring.  So when I went to make the Dreamsicle Cupcakes, which I decided to make orange, I could not find the little bit of red food coloring that remained.  But I improvised and found that a mix of neon pink and yellow food coloring results in a nice, soft orange.  Thank God.

As far as the cupcakes themselves, I was really pleased with them.  So here is the recipe, which originated from Cupcake Rehab, but was modified by yours truly...

Dreamsicle (Orange and Cream) Cupcakes

Ingredients:

  • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • some orange zest (added by P)
  • a little orange juice (added by P)
  • 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ¼ cup milk

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and lightly butter or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
  2. For the Cupcakes: Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and orange zest and juice.
  3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  5. Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter and bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost.

Now for the frosting...  I had a really hard time with it.  On the blog, she says to frost with vanilla buttercream but didn't give the recipe.  I decided to make a buttercream and add just a bit of orange to it.  The end result was ok.  It was just a bit too sweet and didn't stand up all that well (I always pipe my frosting).  But, with the cupcake, it was good.

Dreamsicle Frosting:

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 oz cream cheese softened
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp orange zest (added by P)
  • a little orange juice (added by P)
  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 2 Tsp milk
Directions:
1.  Cream butter and cream cheese.
2.  Mix in vanilla, zest, and orange juice.
3.  Gradually add confectioners sugar and milk and beat for 3-4 minutes.

Anyway, while the Not-So-Ex loved the cupcakes, I still wasn't convinced so they're on the maybe list.

And, just in case you ever wondered, this is what happens when the Not-So-Ex loves the cupcakes and goes to hug me just as I lean back...  No, seriously.

No comments: