Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Yummy New Recipe


So I tried another recipe from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes and I must say I was impressed. Even though I liked them, I made a few little changes as well to make them Brown Sugar/Apple Butter Cupcakes and they were a hit with everyone, even Not-So-Ex who whined that he wasn't a fan of brown sugar.

So here's the cupcake recipe, which came straight from Martha (although I did half it because it makes a slew):

Ingredients

Makes 29

  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make cupcakes as directed in Basic Cupcake How-To, using buttermilk for wet ingredient. Fill each cup 3/4 full, and bake for 25 minutes.
  2. Set rack with cupcakes over a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spoon glaze over tops, and let stand until set. Serve glazed cupcakes immediately.
Once the cupcakes were done, I put a teaspoon or two of apple butter in the middle. This isn't an absolute necessity, but it made them even more moist and worked well with the frosting.

Now for the frosting, which also was a Martha recipe, with a little addition from me:

Brown Sugar/Apple Butter Frosting
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temp
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
1 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c apple butter

Beat butter, cream cheese, and brown sugar. Add the apple butter.

They were really good and light. I would think they would also be perfect for fall when the weather is all apple buttery... LOL

No comments: